Cookies are needed for the site’s operation and are intended for ease of navigation only.
What are cookies?

International Mobility

The International Mobility Cell for Heath Care Professions is primarily responsible for the professional recognition of foreign diplomas.
First, we must make an initial distinction between these foreign diplomas:

§ Diplomas obtained within the European Economic Area (EEA = European Union + Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) and in Switzerland. Application of EU Directives 2005/36/EC concerning the recognition of professional qualifications. These Directives are only applicable to the citizens of the Member States of the European Economic Area and Switzerland or equivalent countries.

§ All other foreign diplomas

§ Special case of Article 49 bis §1 and §2 of Royal Decree No. 78 (Non-EEA citizens with a diploma which is academically equivalent to a Belgian diploma)

§ Performance of services

Subsequently, we must also make a distinction between recognition with a view to practicing a certain profession (professional recognition), and purely academic recognition (equivalence). Within the present legal structures, professional recognition is only possible within the framework of the European Legal Order. Besides allowing one to practice a profession, the purely academic recognition can also provide: access to other trainings, a teaching position…
In general, we can say that professional recognitions fall under the competence of the Federal Government (our department for health professions) and equivalence falls under the competence of the Communities ( and
We provide information and issue various certificates, such as EC/EU/EEA Equivalence Certificates (.PDF), to health professionals who want to practice their profession abroad.

Recognition of diplomas obtained within the EEA or in Switzerland

Applications for recognition of the diploma of Paramedical Staff are handled directly by the International Mobility Cell of Health Professions.
Application Form for Recognition (.PDF)

Recognition of diplomas obtained outside the EEA

Here, our role is usually limited to providing information and references. It is the Communities ( and which are competent for most of these diplomas.

Special case
Article 49 bis §1 and §2 of Royal Decree No. 78

This Article concerns health professionals who do not have the nationality of a Member State of the European Economic Area or of Switzerland, whose foreign diploma has been declared academically equivalent by either the French or the Flemish Community, and who want to practice their profession in Belgium.
For more information about the procedure to be followed, please refer to: Circular 49 bis (.PDF)

Article 49 bis §3 of Royal Decree No. 78
Non-European citizens who have a diploma issued by a Member State of the EU which is accordance with Directive 2005/36/EC, are declared equivalent to European citizens with respect to the handling of their application for professional recognition.

Performance of services
This procedure concerns European health professionals who are authorised to practice their profession in a Member State of the EEA and who want to practice their profession in Belgium during a very short period (for example, five days or one month).

Please contact the Cell directly.


Federal Public Service (FPS) Health, Food Chain Safety and Environment
Eurostation II
Place Victor Horta, 40 box 10
1060 Brussels

Contact Center: +32 (0)2 524.97.97 (on working days between 8-12 a.m. | 1-4 p.m.)

Online form

Published on 27/01/2016 – Page last updated on 27/01/2016